iApply News

/ Blogs / how to apply for canadian work permit after post graduation

How To Apply For Canadian Work Permit After Post Graduation?

Sun February 16, 2020     695

In recent times numerous students all over the world have taken up to education abroad in a whole new atmosphere and an entirely new country. When a student steps out of his home country, he steps out of his comfort zone and enters the allure and culture of new land. 

Studying abroad certainly helps develop an individual’s personality and enhances his/her cultural consciousness. Still, more importantly, it helps a student academically by supplementing their resumes and consequently helping them score better jobs.

Canada has become a preferred educational destination for students from far and wide. Due to the fantastic student services, the extraordinary quality of education, public safety, culturally diverse population, and individual priorities for international students, Canada is becoming all the more popular with students. A considerable amount of Indian students venture out to Canada every year to seek a life-changing educational experience.

Canada has a work permit program specially designed for students who wish to work in Canada after the completion of their post-secondary education. This work permit is often known as a Post Graduate Work Permit. Canadian colleges and universities give students the opportunity of working while studying and participating in a co-op program. There are specific requirements to be fulfilled if a student wishes to apply for a permit after completion of the degree.

Applicants who wish to apply for the permit must have finished a program at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) minimum eight months long, leading to a degree or a diploma. You must also keep in mind that the applicant must be a full time, a regular student at a Canadian educational institute during every semester besides the last one. Once you have completed an eligible degree, diploma, or certificate, you can apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).

The transcript or letter of recommendation granted to a student by DLI  should be in the work permit application. From 2019 the Canadian government has extended the time to apply for Post Graduate Work permit from 90 days to 180 days. Now students have over six months to get a transcript and an official letter of recommendation from the DLI. Another primary requirement for PGWP is that students must have a valid study permit, or must have held one in the past. The IRCC manages all these rules and regulations.

The applicants have to get several documents to apply for a post-graduate work permit. Apart from the DLItranscript, students need an official transcript of their degree from the official website of the school. Students can check the status of their application time and again. The online application takes comparatively less time to process as compared to one on paper that takes almost 120-125 days for processing.